Terms and Conditions
Part A Computer Repair Agreement / Part B Rental Agreement
A - Computer (including Laptop, Portable and MacBook) Repairs
The following are terms of a legal agreement between you and Student Computer Services and its associated companies. By accessing, browsing and/or using any service advertised, you acknowledge that you have read, understood, and agree to be bound by the terms below and to comply
with all applicable laws and regulations. If you do not agree with these terms, don't use this service.
The client authorizes Student Computer Services to conduct an evaluation of the Computer sent to determine the nature of the damage or fault, and provide an estimate of repair cost and timing. The Free Diagnostic Check consists of a thorough Hardware and Software check to determine the fault, during which it may be dismantled to check for the fault, reassembled and further tests carried out on components to establish the fault and solution. No work beyond this evaluation will be charged without explicit client approval. However, exceptions apply for Computers where the fault is fixed during the initial Free Diagnostic Check / Inspection. Where the Computer is returned to a working and operating state and the fault has been fixed - a charge of £30 will apply. The client authorizes Student Computer Services, its employees, and agents, to receive and transport this media/equipment/data to, from and between their facilities.
2. Legal Rights
The client is the legal owner or authorized representative of the legal owner of the property and all data and components contained therein sent to Student
Any property left with Student Computer Services unclaimed for 30 days, will be disposed of. At which time, Student Computer Services shall have no liability
to the client or any third party.
3. Limited Liability
Student Computer Services shall not be liable for any claims regarding the physical functioning of equipment/media or the condition or existence of data on storage media supplied before, during or after service.
In no event will Student Computer Services be liable for any damage to the laptop/desktop, loss of data, loss of revenue or profits, or any special, incidental, contingent, or consequential damages, however caused, before, during or after service even if Student Computer Services has been advised of the possibility of damages or loss to persons or property. Student Computer Services liability of any kind with respect to the services, including any negligence on its part, shall be limited to the contract price for the services.
The client and Student Computer Services agree that the sole and exclusive remedy for unsatisfactory work or data shall be, at Student Computer Services option, additional attempts by Student Computer Services to recover satisfactory data or refund of the amount paid by the client. The parties acknowledge that the price of Student Computer Services would be much greater if Student Computer Services undertook more extensive liability.
The client is aware of the inherent risks of injury and property damage involved in laptop/desktop repair, including without limitation, risks due to destruction or damage to the machine, media, or data and inability to repair the machine or recover data, including those that may result from the negligence of Student Computer Services, and assumes any and all known risks of injury and property damage that may results.
Student Computer Services agrees not to disclose any and all information or data files supplied with, stored on, or recovered from client's equipment except to employees or agents of Student Computer Services subject to confidentiality agreements or as required by law.
Payment is due in full upon completion of successful repair. You must pay by Card, Cash or BACS. We regret we are unable to accept post dated Cheques or any other means of payment (unless we have agreed that you may have a credit account with us).
The client is financially responsible for all shipping costs to Student Computer Services.
6. Collection Notes
If any item left for repairs at Student Computer Services is not paid for in full or collected within 7 days of the work being completed and no attempt of collection is made, then CHARGES of £5 GBP - will be added per week. Your original parts will be kept for you to pick up for a further 30 days and then discarded/sold on if still in our possession.
Unless stated, 30 Day warranty on Operating System installations and 3 months warranty on replaced parts. Student Computer Services makes no warranty on data, express or implied, and Student Computer Services disclaims any data warranty of any kind.
8. Pirated Software
Student Computer Services will not knowingly participate in any illegal activity. Student Computer Services and its Technicians are under no obligation to install, reinstall, or configure any software/music that is known to be pirated. If an illegal windows operating system is found on the machine you will be
required to purchase a valid windows license.
Student Computer Services is not affiliated in any way with or subsidiary to UCL, SOAS, Birkbeck, LSE or any University and Institutions, nor with their associated Students' Union. It is an external service and an independent group for University Students to get computer repairs and support.
Although all attempts are made to provide accurate, current and reliable information, you should recognize the possibility that errors may exist in the information available on this form. Student Computer Services expressly denies any warranty of the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of any information made available on this form, and shall not be held liable for any losses caused by reliance upon the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of the information. A person who relies upon information made available on this form does so at the person's own risk. Before following any advice or installing any software or hardware recommended or mentioned on this site, you are strongly encouraged to do a full backup of your data and system. Student Computer Services shall under no circumstances be responsible for data loss or system failure. Services and products advertised on our website may be modified or discontinued without prior notice. Prices for services or products are subject to change without prior notice.
B - Laptop and Equipment Rental Agreement
1. Student Computer Services Ltd shall supply their customer and shall rent the Equipment, as specified in the specification, on the conditions set out in this Agreement.
2. The Equipment shall at all times remain the property of Student Computer Services Ltd. The Customer shall not part with possession of the Equipment nor dispose of, charge, pledge or underlet the same, nor attempt to do so.
3. The Customer shall keep the Equipment at the address shown on the Rental Agreement and can only remove it with the prior written consent of Student Computer Services.
4. The rental of any Equipment shall commence on the date of the Rental Agreement. It will continue until either Student Computer Services Ltd or the Customer terminates as defined in clauses 22 to 29.
5. The Customer will pay the Rental cost shown on the signed Rental Agreement. This Rental shall be paid on the payment periods specified. After the expiry of the term of this agreement any further payments are to be made at the same rental rate.
6. All rental figures shown are exclusive of Value Added Tax. Value Added Tax at the current rate is payable in addition to the Rental payments within the terms of Student Computer Services Ltd agreement.
7. Rentals payments shall be paid by the customer, by the method indicated on the signed Rental Agreement to Student Computer Services Ltd. Unless agreed or if the rental payments by the customer to Student Computer Services Ltd are more than seven days late, they are subject to late payment / penalty charges.
8. Student Computer Services Ltd reserves the right to vary the Rental Terms after the expiry of the agreement by giving one month’s written notice.
Customers / Borrowers Obligations
9. The Customer shall not suffer the Equipment to be taken by way of distress or execution and shall indemnify Student Computer Services Ltd against any loss damage costs and expenses which Student Computer Services Ltd may incur for the purpose of preserving the Equipment from such distress or execution or of recovering it.
10. The customer and / or any associated 3rd party undertaking work for the customer is not to deface, remove or otherwise interfere with the markings on the Equipment showing Student Computer Services Ltd’s ownership.
11. The customer and / or any associated 3rd party undertaking work for the customer shall use the Equipment in a proper manner as described in the instruction Manual and not to attempt to interfere or tamper with the Equipment except to make normal adjustments. Student Computer Services Ltd reserves the right to charge for callouts due to incorrect operation.
12. The Customer is responsible for the cost of repairs needed due to misuse, whether caused by the customer and / or any 3rd party undertaking work for the customer. The costs of any repairs due to misuse shall be paid by the customer to Student Computer Services Ltd.
13. The Customer shall allow Student Computer Services Ltd and his agents to enter the address at which the Equipment is installed to inspect and if necessary, to repair or replace the Equipment.
14. The Customer is to notify Student Computer Services Ltd immediately if the Equipment suffers any damage or fails to operate properly. Student Computer Services Ltd is not responsible for faulty tape products or other media that might be used.
15. The Customer is liable for any loss or damage of or to the equipment and is therefore strongly advised to ensure the equipment is insured against any such loss or damage for the value specified within the signed Rental Agreement.
16. The Customer notifies Student Computer Services Ltd immediately of any loss by theft, damage or otherwise of the Equipment.
17. The Customer notifies the Insurance Company on any claim of the interest held on any Equipment by Student Computer Services Ltd allowing, if possible, direct settlement of the value of the Equipment between the Insurance Company and Student Computer Services Ltd. Until Student Computer Services Ltd has received a proper reimbursement, the Customer shall continue to pay the Rental payments due. Any Equipment replaced prior to this will be subject to a new Rental Agreement.
Lender’s (Student Computer Services) obligation
18. Student Computer Services Ltd agrees to repair the Equipment in the event of failure. If this is not possible it will be replaced by similar or better Equipment within seven days which will be subject to the terms of this Agreement.
19. Student Computer Services Ltd is not responsible for any loss of use of the Equipment due to failure.
20. Student Computer Services Ltd will be liable for negligently caused death or personal injury but will not be liable for any other injury or damage to persons or property or for any other losses whatsoever arising out of installation, possession or use of the Equipment or of its non-performance or otherwise in connection with this Agreement.
21. Student Computer Services Ltd will exercise due care in selecting its staff and agents but will not be responsible for any act or default of such staff or agents which could not have been foreseen and prevented by the exercise of reasonable care by Student Computer Services Ltd.
Termination by Student Computer Services Ltd
22. Student Computer Services can terminate this Agreement within one month of the Equipment’s installation due to non-approval due to credit checks and monies repaid to the Customer on a pro-rata basis provided the Equipment is returned in good condition.
23. Student Computer Services may terminate the Agreement at any time due to the Customer not complying with the terms of this Agreement or has distress or execution levied against his or her property or becomes bankrupt or makes a composition with his or her creditors or if there is any mis-statement in the information provided by the Customer to Student Computer Services Ltd.
24. Student Computer Services Ltd can terminate this Agreement by giving not less than one month’s notice after the expiry of the initial rental period and give back any monies that might have been deposited by the Customer.
25. In the event of termination under Clause 23 all Rentals payments accrued due shall remain payable by the Customer together with Rental payments for the remainder of the Term of the Agreement, if any and no repayments shall be made.
Termination by the Customer
26. This agreement terminates on the expiry date of the term, as specified in the signed agreement between Student Computer Services Ltd and the Customer.
27. If the Customer continues to rent the Equipment beyond this date, the Customer shall give notice to Student Computer Services to terminate this Agreement in accordance with the following:-
27.1. Original term specified in days – 1 day
27.2. Original term specified in weeks – 1 week
27.3. Original term specified in months – 1 month
28. If Student Computer Services Ltd increases the Rental payable (in accordance with Clause 8) the Customer may terminate the Agreement.
29. If Student Computer Services Ltd does not fulfil any of its obligations under this Agreement the Customer may terminate this Agreement.
30. If the Customer can prove to Student Computer Services Ltd that there are extenuating circumstances why he or she cannot continue with this Agreement then Student Computer Services Ltd at its discretion can terminate the Agreement in writing. Any deposits paid will be forfeited.
Return of the Equipment
31. When this Agreement comes or is brought to an end the Customer shall at once return the Equipment to Student Computer Services Ltd address as shown on the Rental Agreement and shall without prejudice to his duty to return the Equipment allow and assist Student Computer Services Ltd staff or agents to enter upon any property in the Customers possession or control and shall give to Student Computer Services Ltd all information in their possession to enable Student Computer Services to retake the Equipment.
32. It is declared and agreed that if the Customer fails to return or allow Student Computer Services to retake the Equipment then the Rental payments due for this time from the end of the Agreement and any costs incurred in the Equipment’s recovery shall be paid by the Customer.
33. This is not a Hire-Purchase Agreement and gives no right to buy the Equipment. By mutual consent, the Customer has an option to purchase any Equipment under this Agreement, taking into account a proportion of the rental paid.
34. If the Customer is using video, audio recording Equipment, downloading any files, software, computer hacking and / or performing any illegal actions using any Equipment owned by Student Computer Services Ltd, the Customer should note that Student Computer Services will not be held responsible for any breach of copyright or performing rights and / or infringement of any laws, whether governed by the United Kingdom and / or Worldwide. Therefore the Customer should make enquiries to ensure that their use of such Equipment is legally compliant within the United Kingdom and /or Worldwide.
35. Any notices sent by the Customer or Student Computer Services Ltd shall be hand-delivered or sent by First Class Signed Delivery Post.
36. Customers who rent Equipment which is directly connected to a telephone line or lines accept all responsibility for its connection and must make sure they have the permission of their telecommunications provider for its connection and pay any costs if necessary, charged by them with regard to its connection.
39. Student Computer Services shall be entitled at any time to sign the benefit of this Agreement to any legal entity either in the United Kingdom or abroad.
40. Student Computer Services is not responsible for any software used on its computer Equipment, (unless agreed by both parties). A call out charge is payable if the Customer reports faulty Equipment that is caused by software problems.